Saturday, August 29, 2015

Full Moon, the Augustalization of Diua Matidia, Birthday of Sanctus Edward Carpenter, Feast of Gnostic Saint Ulrich von Hutten, HPL wrote "The Dead Bookworm", Raksha Bandhan, and Chithira (second day of ഓണം)

Wow, today had an awful lot going on!

Most of my focus today was on cooking a really fancy meal for Inanna and Dumuzi because of the Full Moon.  Since I've been dating the sanctuary, I have had an unusually hard time attending Temple and so it felt important to me to honor Inanna (and Ninshubur) (and, oh yeah, I guess Dumuzi and Geshtinanna as well :-p ) here with my Faemily.

I did and everyone loved it and it was good.  Mommy Eris showed up a lot, though, which was interesting and at one point kinda caused an outbreak of tlazolli, leaving me stuck in all my internalized bullshit.  But I pushed through and everyone seemed to enjoy it, so that's a yay.

Today was Edward Carpenter's birthday, so I posted about him to the Wolf Creek Radical Fairy Facebook page and I made him an offering plate from the dinner I cooked.  I actually made a full four dinner plates, one for Sanctus Edward Carpenter, one for Gnostic Saint Ulrich von Hutten, one for the gods themselves, and one for Diua Matidia, who was named Augusta on this day.

aI tried to honor Raksha Bandhan via Facebook, giving e-rakhi and prayers and e-tilak, but I got super selfconscious in the middle of it and stopped after only my Big Brother and Big Sister.  yeah, that was at the peak of the tlazolli moment I was dealing with.

Like for all of the anniversaries of Howard Phillips Lovecraft's writing achievements, I celebrate the writing of the self-parodic poem "The Dead Bookworm" by reading it.  Except . . . I don't seem able to find the text online :-(  Saved I am, however, by Youtube!  Here is a video of someone calling themselves Ms Poopee Doodee (I simply ADORE their name!) reading "The Dead Bookworm":

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zk9jVolp7PA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And, to celebrate Chithira, I offer some research about what it commemorates (in the form of linksoup) and a recipe for pappadams from Kerala!

Onathappan and ഓണം
Wikipedia's article about മാവേലി
Wikipedia's article about वामन
Wikipedia's article about अहंकार, of which it suggests മാവേലി is a symbol

2 cups urud dal
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
ground black pepper, optional

1. Mix all of the ingredients with ¼ cup of water to make a thick and smooth dough. Ground black pepper can be added to make the Pappadams spicier.

2. Divide the dough into ping-pong-sized balls. Place each ball on a wooden board and roll it out with a rolling pin. The regular size of a Pappadam is 6 inches in diameter.

3. Dry each Pappadam in the sun or in an oven that is heated to 175 degrees. This step usually takes days to complete. When dry they are ready to be fried or roasted.

4. To cook the Pappadams, head about 3 cups of oil in a large pan to a very high temperature. When the oil starts smoking, cook the Pappadams one by one. They will expand and bubble then remove them from the oil when they turn light brown.

Fried Pappadams, an easy vegetarian recipe, can be stored in an air tight container for about a week but they taste best when just made.

No comments:

Post a Comment